Monday, April 8, 2013

Friendly Foe

As I posted before, Christoph Waltz was playing piano as I was on my computer and after I wrote that post I headed to my room for a second and when I returned he was still playing. So I returned to my computer and just as he got to the quiet part of the song he says to me:

CHRISTOPH
I'm surprised you recognized the song.
CHRISTINA
I know, how could an ignorant child like me understand anything?
CHRISTOPH
Ah, I see you heard the interview. 
CHRISTINA
I wurde Ihrer kranken Worten erzählt.
CHRISTOPH
Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
CHRISTINA
Ja, ein wenig.
CHRISTOPH 
Wo hast du gelernt?
CHRISTINA
Außerhalb.
CHRISTOPH
Wo draußen?
CHRISTINA
New York City hat die Deutschen zu, wissen Sie. Ich weiß, wie dieses Lied zu spielen.
CHRISTOPH
Es ist ein Lied, das ich als Kind gelernt, nicht sehr schwierig.
CHRISTINA
Ich weiß. Möchten Sie etwas schwieriger zu hören?
CHRISTOPH
Es ist Ihr Klavier.
CHRISTINA
(getting up from the chair she leaves her laptop and goes to the piano and begins to play) Ich nehme an, Sie haben von Beethoven gehört?
CHRISTOPH
Ja. Moonlight Sonata, sehr schön. Sie spielen schön, wo hast du gelernt?
CHRISTINA
Verlassene Kirche. Ich hatte eine Menge freie Zeit aufwachsen.
CHRISTOPH
So höre ich.
CHRISTINA
Du weißt, ich hatte eine Menge Spaß bei der Arbeit mit Ihnen auf SNL, und für Sie voran gehen und sagen, dass solche negativen Dinge auf mich war sehr unprofessionell.
CHRISTOPH
Ich glaube nicht an eine Beziehung zwischen dem Publikum und den Schauspielern zu glauben.
CHRISTINA
Du hättest etwas zu mir gesagt, anstatt zu sagen wie verletzende Dinge, ich bin nicht der, für den Sie mich halten.
CHRISTOPH
Viel mehr kultiviert. Es tut mir leid Schatz.
CHRISTINA
Ich bin nicht dein Liebling.
CHRISTOPH
Wie kann ich meinen Kommentar zu Ihnen
CHRISTINA
Hören. (CHRISTINA begins the third movement which is obscenely fast and one of the most difficult pieces to play on piano)
CHRISTOPH
Wunderbar...
CHRISTINA
Shush, das ist schwer. (CHRISTOPH doesn't speak for the rest of the song and once on the last few notes CHRISTINA looks at him with bored eyes as she finishes the movement. Once she plays the last chord she turns to him and he is applauding her)
CHRISTOPH
Wirklich erstaunlich, ich bin-
CHRISTINA
Englisch, bitte.
CHRISTOPH
Well Ms. Essenelle that was quite wonderful. 
CHRISTINA
Maybe next time you can have a conversation with me instead of judging me. 
CHRISTOPH
I realize this now, will you forgive me
CHRISTINA
No.
CHRISTOPH
What can I do to gain your forgiveness, I do not want this dissonance between us.
CHRISTINA
You'll figure something out. (she goes to her laptop and heads back to her room leaving CHRISTOPH by the piano)

I realize that this might not translate well but to my German audience...hello! Basically I said that I had a nice time with him on SNL and it was unprofessional of him to discredit our work and his performance. We also talked about how I learned to play piano in a church and how I learned German in school along with French out of boredom. Well I must leave now to go memorize some lines but I'll talk to ya'll later. 

Auf Wiedersehen!